Most of us have suffered from a toothache at some point in our lives. It can be debilitating and very painful if not treated correctly. However, many cases of a toothache do not require an urgent trip to your dentist in Glasgow. In fact, they could be remedied with the use of acupuncture, focusing on the acupressure healing points. This form of ancient Chinese medicine is being more and more integrated with dental practices, with organisations forming such as The British Dental Acupuncture Society who wish to bring this treatment into the mainstream.
Today we want to look at the causes of a toothache and how acupuncture could help with this. Find out if your dentist practices this form of medicine today.
Causes Of A Toothache
First of all, the causes of a toothache come in various guises. They can be through poor dental hygiene, or through various other factors. Some of the most common causes of a toothache are listed below:
- Tooth Decay: Tooth decay is caused when the acids in your mouth form plaque on your teeth which gradually breaks down the outer coating of enamel on your teeth.
- Grinding Teeth: Grinding your teeth most often happens when you are asleep and can be cause by an odd bite or crooked teeth. It is worth telling your dentist in Glasgow if you feel you are grinding your teeth regularly.
- Food Stuck In Teeth: If you have crooked teeth you are more likely to get small pieces of food stuck in your teeth which can become a problem if left for longer time periods.
- Trauma To Tooth: Many people suffer a knock to their teeth at some point in their life, which may cause fractures and so on. These fractures can let acids into the tooth and cause bad damage.
You should always get your dental health checked by a dentist in Glasgow if you think it may be serious. Due to things like food accumulating in your teeth it may be best to give your teeth a thorough clean. Perhaps then you should think about acupuncture or acupressure.
Healing Acupuncture Points
There are various points on the body that professionals will use for acupuncture. If you’re lucky, a dentist in Glasgow may be able to carry out this procedure for you. However, you can recreate the experience at home by using acupressure points. Some of the best points for alleviating toothache are listed below. Note that each of these is carried out on the side that corresponds to the side of your mouth experiencing the toothache.
- The area behind your outer ankle bone.
- The webbing between your thumb and forefinger.
- The webbing between your 2nd and 3rd toes, on top of your foot (with your big toe being the 1st and counting outwards).
Find A Great Dentist In Glasgow
For great dental treatment from a respected dentist in Glasgow, why not visit The Berkeley Clinic. This clinic is up there as the top dentist in Glasgow, with leading treatments for both cosmetic and also medical dental surgery. They can treatment those with more extreme dental anxiety. Above all, they may be able to point you in the right direction for dental acupuncture.